Wednesday, December 23, 2009

Betong, Thailand



That's the biggest post box in the world..!! I kid u not..!!!! And it's in Betong, Thailand - build by the British in 1924. I had an unplanned trip to Betong today. It started off by just checking out the temporary office for our new officer to be placed in Gerik. The office is small but furnished. Thanks to the D.O. who was kind enough to lend us the space while we look for a bigger office. I thought we had some time to kill before we have to start back to Ipoh, so i asked the driver to take me to Pengkalan Hulu as i've never been to the place.

Small town, but they told me that we could check out the duty free shop near the border to Thailand. So i said okayy... It was near lunch and i said we could have our lunch there. Turns out the shop was just like a mini market really... but i bought some chocolates... hersheys... Then out of nowhere (it seems to me) some officers came by and suggested we have lunch across the border in Betong .. well.. authentic thai cuisine..? Who am i to refuse such good food?? So off we go.... and the food was really good..!! After wards, they took me around town and the biggest post box in the world!!

Some interesting place to visit too i think.. there's a communist tunnel, hot springs... maybe i'll be back for a planned trip next time.... hmmm..

No comments: