Monday, February 8, 2010

A woman in full..?


Today is a day for reflection. At least for me... and in doing so i remembered a novel by Tom Wolfe - "a man in full". I read it many years ago. It was an interesting novel. The novelist put forth the importance of virtue and stoicism in life. As one commentator puts it "the Stoic, the real man, is possessed of self-control, self-discipline, responsibility, decisiveness, courage, justice, moral fortitude, compassion, and self-respect. Consequently, Wolfe’s man in full turns out to be the man of virtue".

I remember feeling that the philosophy of virtue as narrated through the characters in the novel somehow reflects or coincides with my father's journey in life. To me, my father is a man in full. He lived his life by being a stoic, guided by the characteristics as stated above. My wish then... i would be like him...

Alas,... i feel my life is full, in that i have accomplish a lot, i've experienced a lot, i feel my life is rich, varied and colourfull. But am i a women in full? Stoic, a woman of virtue..?

Hmm... I think I would fail the test.... *sigh*....

No comments: